A critical aspect of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, as amended, is a focus on viewing the local homeless response as a coordinated system of homeless assistance options as opposed to homeless assistance programs and funding sources that operate independently in a community. To facilitate this perspective the Act now requires communities to measure their performance as a coordinated system, in addition to analyzing performance by specific projects or project types.
The Act has established a set of selection criteria for HUD to use in awarding CoC funding in section 427 that require CoCs to report to HUD their system-level performance. The intent of these selection criteria are to encourage CoCs, in coordination with ESG Program recipients and all other homeless assistance stakeholders in the community, to regularly measure their progress in meeting the needs of people experiencing homelessness in their community and to report this progress to HUD.
CoCs also play an integral role in Consolidated Plan (Con Plan) jurisdictions’ planning process. They are required to provide the jurisdiction with the information necessary to complete the Con Plan(s) for homeless assistance provided to persons within the CoC’s geographic area that falls within the Con Plan jurisdiction’s geographic area, including data on performance measures. HUD will use the system-level performance information as a competitive element in its annual CoC Program Competition and to gauge the state of the homeless response system nationally.
- Measure 1
- Length of Time Persons Remain Homeless
- Measure 2a
- The Extent to which Persons who Exit Homelessness to Permanent Housing Destinations Return to Homelessness within 6 to 12 Months
- Measure 2b
- The Extent to which Persons who Exit Homelessness to Permanent Housing Destinations Return to Homelessness within 2 Years
- Measure 3
- Number of Homeless Persons
- Measure 4
- Employment and Income Growth for Homeless Persons in CoC Program-funded Projects
- Measure 5
- Number of Persons who Become Homeless for the First Time
- Measure 6
- Homelessness Prevention and Housing Placement of Persons Defined by Category 3 of HUD’s Homeless Definition in CoC Program-funded Projects. Only CoC applicants that have exercised the authority and been approved by HUD to serve families with children and youth defined as homeless under other federal laws are required to complete Measures 6a, 6b, and 6c.
- Measure 7
- Successful Placement from Street Outreach