Who am I? The group leader, advisor, and task master for the Molecular Ferroelectrics Laboratory in the UNL Department of Physics and Astronomy.
For how long? I have been at UNL since Harald V became King of Norway.How did I get here? I am from Massachusetts, graduated from Leominster High School (birthplace of John Chapman) and earned a Bachelor of Science in Physics at the University of Lowell (now The University of Massachusetts at Lowell, birthplace of Jack Kerouac). While studying at U. Lowell (go River Hawks), I ventured out of New England for summer undergraduate research experiences in nuclear physics at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee and in superconductivity at Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois.
- Ferroelectricity at the Nanoscale: Basics and Applications, by Fridkin & Ducharme, (Springer, Berlin, 2014) DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-41007-9
- “Diisopropylammonium Bromide Based Two-Dimensional Ferroelectric Monolayer Molecular Crystal with Large In-Plane Spontaneous Polarization,” Ma, Liang; Jia, Yinglu; Ducharme, Steve; Wang, Jinlan; Zeng, Xiao Cheng, Journal of the American Chemical Society 141 (4), 1452-1456 (2019). DOI: 10.1021/jacs.8b12102
- “Polarization canting in ferroelectric diisopropylammonium-halide molecular crystals: a computational first principles study,” Lydie Louis, Krishna Chaitanya Pitlke, Ayana Ghosh, Shashi Poddar, Stephen Ducharme, Serge Nakhmanson, Journal of Materials Chemistry C6, 1143-1152 (2018). DOI: 10.1039/c7tc03732e
- “Ferroelectricity and the Phase Transition in Large Area Evaporated Vinylidene Fluoride Oligomer Thin Films,” Keith Foreman, Shashi Poddar, Stephen Ducharme and Shireen Adenwalla, J. Applied Physics121, 194103 (7) (2017). DOI: 10.1063/1.4983820
- “Fabrication of Ferroelectric polymer nanostructures on flexible substrates by soft-mold reverse nanoimprint lithography,” Jingfeng Song, Haidong Lu, Shumin Li, Li Tan, Alexei Gruverman, Stephen Ducharme, Nanotechnology27, 015302 (9) (2016). DOI: 10.1088/0957-4484/27/1/015302
- "Statics and Dynamics of Ferroelectric Domains in Diisopropylammonium Bromide,” Haidong Lu, Tao Li, Shashi Poddar, Om Goit, Alexey Lipatov, Alex Sinitskii, Stephen Ducharme, Alexei Gruverman, Advanced Materials27 (47), 7832-7838 (2015). DOI: 10.1002/adma.201504019
- “Polarization Imaging in Ferroelectric Polymer Thin Films by Pyroelectric Scanning Microscopy,” Jingfeng Song, Haidong Lu, Alexei Gruverman, S. Ducharme, Applied Physics Letters104, 192901 (2014).DOI: 10.1063/1.4875960
- “Measurement of the flexoelectric response in ferroelectric and relaxor polymer thin films,” Shashi Poddar and Stephen Ducharme, Applied Physics Letters103, 202901 (2013). DOI: 10.1063/1.4829622
- “Tuning the Energy Level Offset of Donor and Acceptor with Ferroelectric Dipole Layers for Increased Efficiency in Bilayer Organic Photovoltaic Cells,” B. Yang, Y. B. Yuan, S. Poddar, P. Sharma, R. Korlacki, S. Ducharme, A. Gruverman, R. Saraf and J. S. Huang, Advanced Materials24, 1455-60 (2012). DOI: 10.1002/adma.201104509
- "Efficiency enhancement in organic solar cells with ferroelectric polymers," Nature Materials, vol. 10, pp. 296-302 (2011)
- “Why Ferroelectric Polyvinylidene Fluoride is Special,” M. Poulsen, S. Ducharme,IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation17(4), 1028-35 (2010). DOI: 10.1109/TDEI.2010.5539671
- Two-Dimensional Ferroelectric Films,” A. Bune, V. M. Fridkin, S. Ducharme, L. M. Blinov, S. P. Palto, A. Sorokin, S. G. Yudin, A. Zlatkin, Nature391, 874-877 (1998). DOI: 10.1038/36069
TeachingRecent teaching activities include undergraduate courses on both Physics and Astronomy.
Fall 2015 to 2018: PHYS 141H, Physics for Life Sciences I (honors section)
Spring 2016 to 2021: PHYS 142H, Physics for Life Sciences II (honors section)
Stephen Ducharme, Professor
Is Harald V still King of Norway? Find out for yourself.