Drupal 8 Transition Timeline
Since the launch of UNLcms almost five years ago, we have been utilizing version 7 of Drupal. So now, just as everyone is settled in, it's time to change! Just kidding :) This upgrade to Drupal 8 will be more about enhancements and improvements than change-for-change sake.
Some of the improvments in Drupal 8:
- Better content authoring experience: A better WYSIWYG editor and image uploading process
- Better accessibility built in: While the UNL Framework has been created with accessibility standards in mind, many Drupal components have required custom adjustment in the past
- Mobile friendly administrator interface
The goal is to make a migration of a "standard" site to Drupal 8 a one-click affair. You hit the button, review it to make sure there were no glitches, and that's it. We'll work with the owners of some of the more complex sites (such as those using Organic Groups) to ensure a smooth transition.
- July 1: New site creation available
- By September 1: Migration path available for existing sites
- June 30, 2017: Drupal 7 shutdown