Mobile Broadband in Nebraska
Nebraska Public Service Commission releases report on mobile broadband coverage in Nebraska. Drive tests were used to capture the mobile broadband speed and connectivity by using a Mobile Pulse Application. For this report, the types of technology were grouped into broader categories for analysis: 2G, 3G, and LTE. Viaero Wireless, Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, US Cellular and Sprint were tested. Findings include:
- Of the five carriers tested, AT&T and Sprint had download speeds that were significantly faster in urban areas. U.S. Cellular download speeds were nearly identical between rural and urban areas, while Verizon and Viaero download speeds were faster in rural areas than in urban areas.
- Upload speeds were faster in urban areas for 4 of the 5 carriers (Viaero was the exception). The differences between rural and urban tests for all 4 of those carriers was less than 1 Mbps, and the rural/urban upload speed difference for Viaero was only 0.2 Mbps.
This report contains information that could be very helpful for consumers who are seeking provider information. The full report with graphical images of carrier coverage is available at the Nebraska Public Service Commission site.
Broadband Business Survey
Conducted in Fall 2013, key findings include:
- Nebraska businesses are creating jobs and increasing revenues through the use of broadband applications.
- Nebraska businesses on average are utilizing 13 Internet applications and processes.
- Mobile devices and access are becoming increasingly important to Nebraskans.
- Broadband utilization varies by employment size, region and community size and industry.
Nebraska Household Survey Shows Gains in Internet Usage
- 86% of Nebraska Households have Internet access at home. This has increased over the past four years, from 81 percent in 2010.
- 82% of Nebraska households currently have broadband Internet service. In 2010, 76% percent of Nebraska households had broadband service.
- Common Internet activities for households with Internet access include: sending or receiving e-mail, doing research or searching for information, getting news/weather information, looking for health information, using a social networking site, and online banking or bill pay.
Older Nebraskans' Technology Use
The Nebraska Broadband Household Survey shows clear usage patterns among older Internet users. These patterns are positive compared both to past and national usage.
Technology Use in Agriculture
Agricultural businesses report lower levels of satisfaction with their Internet speed compared to all Nebraska businesses.
Government and Economic Developer Surveys
The Nebraska Broadband Initiative has connected with organizations and associations and conducted a series of Broadband Surveys of members across Nebraska.
These Broadband Surveys are designed to:
- Provide insight on how membership uses technology
- Identify barriers in adopting broadband
- Identify education opportunities to better utilize high speed Internet technology
- Establish benchmarks
The survey results for each organization include a text summary and presentation. The Nebraska Broadband Initiative and these Nebraska groups invite you to share their results.
Nebraska Economic Developers Association — Read More
Nebraska Association of County Officials — Read More
Nebraska League of Municipalities — Read More
Learn more and take action to bring broadband to your area.
Is broadband available?
Review the Nebraska Broadband Map
See what broadband services are available in your town or region in Nebraska. The data for the map was collected from broadband service providers, anchor institutions and residents of Nebraska.View the Map
Is your community leveraging broadband?
Review the Broadband Community Planning Workbook.
Learn how your community is currently utilizing broadband and identify ways in which broadband can enhance or develop opportunities. Click here to see if your community is ready to leverage broadband.View the Workbook