Switching your site to the new 4.1 version of the UNLedu Framework
If you are a Site Admin you can preview your site in the latest development version of the 4.1 release of the UNLedu web framework and templates.
Doing these steps will only convert the theme for your user account (end-users will still see the site as it is now) and you can switch back and forth any time.
- Click your name in the upper-right part of the page in the black admin toolbar
- Click the EDIT tab on the right
- Click THEME CONFIGURATION
- Choose UNLedu 4.1
- Save at the bottom and go look at your home page
To switch back replace step (5) above with don't switch the theme.
Previewing your site does not make it live, there are a few more steps to follow. Before switching your site live, you’ll need to copy over your old theme's settings and disable the footer region as instructed in the “Todo for you:” sections below. Once you’ve completed all the applicable "Todo for you:” items and everything looks as expected, complete the "Going live with the new theme” steps to switch your site live.
Note: Each Site Admin will need to enable the preview individually in order to view the latest 4.1 development version of the site. All of the Todo items below will only need to be down once by one person per site.
Your custom theme settings (things set under the Appearance link) will need to be copied over. This is a one time transition that only one Site Admin needs to do once on your site:
- Underneath Advanced settings we have switched to using the latest version of the grid. If your previous settings here were "3" (which represented a 75%/25% grid) then no action is required. If you had other values, refer to http://wdn.unl.edu/resources/grid for grid class information.
Todo for you: Disable Footer region
There have been changes to the footer regions in 4.1 and adjustments need to be made. The Footer Content region (where the copyright line is) is no longer editable in the new design, however the CMS dumps this old region into the navigation area and we need to disable it.
- Go to Structure->Blocks, then click on the UNLEDU 4.1 tab on the right.
- Make sure you have selected the UNLEDU 4.1 tab in the upper right so that these changes are only made for the new theme.
- In the dropdown to the right of Footer Content, select - None - then Save at the bottom. If you had any additional information or code (such as Google Analytics) in this area, it will need to be moved.
Todo for you: (Optional) Add new Social Media block
4.1 now includes the option to include a block in the footer dedicated to your unit's social media outposts.
- Go to Structure->Blocks and click + Add block.
- In the Block description field type Social Media.
- Switch the Text format box beneath Block body to HTML and paste in the following code to get started, then modify for your unit:
<ul> <li><a href="https://www.facebook.com/NebraskaEngineering" class="wdn-icon-facebook">NebraskaEngineering<span class="wdn-text-hidden"> on Facebook</span></a></li> <li><a href="https://twitter.com/NebEngineering" class="wdn-icon-twitter">@NebEngineering<span class="wdn-text-hidden"> on Twitter</span></a></li> <li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/NebraskaEngineering" class="wdn-icon-youtube-play">NebraskaEngineering<span class="wdn-text-hidden"> on YouTube</span></a></li> <li><a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/nebraskaengineering/" class="wdn-icon-flickr">nebraskaengineering<span class="wdn-text-hidden"> on Flickr</span></a></li> <li><a href="https://www.linkedin.com/groups/University-NebraskaLincoln-College-Engineering-Alumni-3413949?home=&gid=3413949&trk=anet_ug_hm" class="wdn-icon-linkedin-squared">College of Engineering Alumni<span class="wdn-text-hidden"> on LinkedIn</span></a></li> </ul>
- Under Region Settings->UNLedu 4.1 choose Social media in the select box.
- Save block at the bottom
- Note: If your Social Media links block is stacking directly under your contact block, add the "wdn-related-links-v1" class to the <ul> in your Related Links block.
Todo for you: Site affiliation
4.1 now includes the ability to specify your unit's affiliation(s) next to your site name. For instance, the English Department would specify College of Arts & Sciences.
- Go to Configuration->Site information and in the Slogan box put a link to your college or other affiliation. Note: this is not to be used for a "slogan" or "tagline" and the wording of the "slogan" box will be updated shortly.
- Example to paste into the box: <a href="http://cas.unl.edu/">College of Arts & Sciences</a>
- Go to Appearance then click on Settings for UNLedu 4.1. Underneath Toggle display, check Site slogan.
Going live with the new theme
The Appearance link in the administrator toolbar is where you set the new theme as your production theme. Until you are ready to switch, the first theme listed on this screen should remain UNLedu 4.0 7.x-4.0.x (default theme).
After January 5, 2016 -- once you are ready to switch your site to 4.1 for the general public, click "Set default" under UNLedu 4.1 7.x-4.1.x
The new theme is a work in progress for the next month but we welcome feedback. If you see a problem with your site in the new theme and would like to let us know, click the icon to the left of your name in the black toolbar at the top of any page.
The UNLcms naming convention is as follows:
- WDN 3.1 framework = UNL WDN theme in UNLcms (machine name: unl_wdn)
- UNLedu 4.0 framework = UNLedu 4.0 theme in UNLcms (machine name: unl_four)
- UNLedu 4.1 framework = UNLedu 4.1 theme in UNLcms (machine name: unl_fourone)